Now, I hate to rain on anybody's parade or picnic, but I don't really like watermelon or ants. I also haven't been on a picnic in a while since my furnace is still on, so the theme this month had me go hmm... If you haven't noticed yet, however, I never let a theme that doesn't match my mood get in the way of crafting!
So, I started cutting book board (the best projects start with a full sheet and end up with scraps). I cut a front cover and back cover (6 3/8 x 8 3/4), spine (3/4 x 8 3/4), and front flap (6 1/4 x 8 3/4). I like to write the name of the piece on the board, especially when I'm making this up as I go along.
I glued my spine to a piece of green paper from the kit (4 3/4 x 10 1/4). I used grid rulers at the top and bottom to center it as nicely asa I could. I also drew guide marks on the green paper.
I then glued the back cover to the green paper, making sure to just glue the part that would touch the paper (measure twice, glue once!).
Repeat for the front cover. I like to leave a generous 1/4" gutter between my spine and covers, which allows for a nice opening and closing.
Next up, glue the back cover striped blue paper to the back cover (5 3/8 x 10 1/4). I butt the paper right against the lip of the green paper, and can generally get things really close. In this case, I got a little glue outside the paper, so I just use a slightly damp piece of paper towel to dab a bit up.
I repeat for the front cover, using the book board as a guide to draw the area to place glue. This striped paper measures 10 1/4 x 12.
When I'm done, I have a very long piece! The gutter between the front flap (piece on the far left) and its neighbor, the front cover, is a super generous 3/8".
Next, I wrap the flaps around the board. Miter the corners, leaving a bit of overhang, and tuck them in once one side is wrapped around.
Before glueing my flaps around the front flap, I want to place my paired magnets. I want my front flap to close onto the front cover and close with a magnet. I have these super slim, super strong magnets from Basic Grey, and I have never used them. I start by drawing a placement line on the front cover - you can see I didn't like my first location. I put a bright green paper dot on top of the placement, with some removable adhesive on the top side.
I then close the front flap on top of the front cover.
When I open the flap, I have perfect placement for my opposite magnet - right where the green dot is.
On the front cover, I hollow out some book board using my craft pick, and place the magnet using a bit of extra glue to hold it in place.
On the front flap, I cut a bit of paper out from the flap (the magnets are about as thick as card stock, and finish wrapping the flaps.
After measuring the length of elastic I'll need, I set the second eyelet, so there is a loop of elastic on the back cover.
Bright pink paper covers the inside, and I created a light pink pocket to hold my pad of paper.
If you have any glue on your cover at this point that doesn't make you happy, I use an art gum eraser to clean it up a bit (gently!).
My finished journal looks classy and pulled together. My pens are actually disposable fountain pens - they come in super bright and fun colors!
When you open it, you continue to see the striped paper from the cover wrapping around, and have a lovely surface to write on with your pad of paper.
When you open the front flap, you reveal a secret location to hide post it notes! I was inspired by the 3M web page, where they were showing using a binder to organize sticky notes. The Evernote post its have a super cool holder, and work with my favorite organizational product - Evernote (the Evernote post its come with a free premium month so you can try it out, too).
At work, I've been blessed to be getting an office makeover, complete with new furniture and freshly painted walls. I've been shopping for some "upgrades" to my office supplies, which included these Rhodia journals. It makes me happy to write on nice paper! My old leather journal didn't fit these pads, however, so I love being able to make something handmade that matches what I want exactly.
I hope you enjoyed my little project along with tutorial. This portfolio will perfectly fit a Rhodia No. 16 pad of paper, but can be resized to fit your favorite pad, too.
I hope you enjoy the next stop on the blog - Debbie Weller always has a fun project in store for us! If you want to start at the beginning, be sure to check out Club Scrap's blog.