Sunday, April 15, 2018

Shibori Technique Challenge

Julie posted a great tutorial on a technique to make shibori-style prints from tissue paper.  This technique is inspired by Club Scrap's April kit - Shibori.  I tried it out today and made these lovely cards.

The blue and purple were some spray mists that I love.  I wasn't completely happy with the color coverage on these, but by stamping in colors and black ink, I made some great backgrounds for cards.  I used my xyron to cover a piece of white card stock with adhesive and laid that on top of the tissue paper to give the tissue paper some stability for stamping.

I had a lot of fun with this technique, and made several more tissue paper strips after this.  I altered Julie's technique by spraying my tissue paper with water first before applying the sprays.  I hope to share more cards soon!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Eastern Beauty Cards

I love the combination of stamps and die cuts, and the Eastern Beauty stamps from Stampin' Up! also remind me of the medallion stamps I love so much from England.  There are so many pieces in this set that it is almost overwhelming!  I had some a-ha moments as I was creating these cards, and thought I would share some with you.

One of the patterned papers is pretty bland (in my opinion) and I was not sure what to do with it.  A google search later, I found that two of the stamps perfectly nest in the open spaces so you can go wild and customize it to be as patterned as you would like.

Two of the stamps fit perfectly in the little spaces of the petals on the medallion die cut, so I had fun playing with that stamp.  I also found that the petal medallion embosses wonderfully, so the first one isn't cut.

This one uses a peek-a-boo approach to color with circles on the back.

This one uses cut outs entirely - just snip around the die cut to pop it out from the paper.  The papers here are from Club Scrap except for the Very Vanilla for the card base and front.

Just having some fun playing with the patterned papers here.  I also discovered that both of the shapes can be layered to have that fun double layer peeking out behind.

Finally, I had some fun mixing and matching some of my paper scraps and the stamps to see what else I could create and using the tassels (not my first choice of embellishments!).

This is a really versatile kit, and I've enjoyed seeing what others have come up with using it.  I hope you enjoy some of these ideas.  My supply list is:

Friday, March 03, 2017

Succulents card - Club Scrap

I created this card using the cut aparts from the Succulents kit, and a card base from Paper Wishes. These bases are great for creating intricate cards because they take all of the work out of measuring.  In a bit of serendipity, the "Happy Birthday" greeting perfectly covers the inside greeting when the card is flat.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Valentine's Day - Cards for 2017

My husband and I have been a bit remiss for some holidays lately, but we revived our tradition of making cards for each other on Valentine's Day this year.

My husband is a master quiller, and created this lovely bouquet of spring flowers.  This year, it even has a woven basket!  I've recently cleaned the craft room, so he was able to find everything he needed this year without frustration...  I'll definitely keep it clean, it if keeps him giving me gorgeous cards!

My card uses a fancy fold to make a step card.  I'm not quite this patient, however, and I used a card base that was pre-cut and scored to make this beauty.  The design challenge this month at Club Scrap is fancy folded cards, so I was inspired to use these die-cut cards from Hot off the Press to easily make my card.  My paper and stamps are all from vintage Club Scrap kits, and I experimented with a little foil on the heart.

I hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day - spring is just around the corner!

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Suminagashi and Dahlia - marbled paper with stencils

Last weekend, I took a fabulous art class at the Copper Country Community Arts Center with visiting artist Pamela Olson.  She taught us the art of suminagashi - a japanese form of paper marbling.  At the end of the weekend, we were left with some fabulous pieces of marbled paper, and I decided to make cards!

This first card shows off the marbling. In suminagashi, the marbling is typically only black; here I've used two to create stripes of blue and black.

Because you are working on water with this marbling technique, the colors are very subtle, and you don't get the defined lines and shapes you might be familiar with in traditional marbled papers.  Here, I've used some papers in a grid pattern.

 Finally, I decided to see if I could colorize the paper.  I used my color bursts (I love the new Caribbean Brights set!) and saturated the paper with color.  Probably a little too much color...  Then, I used the Club Scrap Dahlia stencil with gesso died pink to create a bright flower.  I tried this technique with a molding paste, but was disappointed to learn it dried translucent.  I used some classic papers from Stratosphere and punches to finish off the card.

If you're interested in trying suminagashi, it's fun, and easy to clean up since it's water based! This kit has some colors to get you started, and sumi brushes are a great tool to use for applying the color.  If you remember back to the Pure and Simple kit, we received one then, or you can find them on Amazon.  Below is a video illustrating their basic use.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...