When I last went to England, I took a "smash" like journal with me, and had a lot of fun writing and stashing memorabilia in it. Karen's project at Club Scrap Retreat also inspired me to create my own book with space for storing stuff and writing my memories. If you want to see how it's made, check out my picture tutorial. If you want to see more of the inside of the book, skip to the bottom.
The covers were glued to the dark green paper so there is a 1.5" overhang, and then the remainder of the covers had a light green piece of card stock (4.75" x 10.25"). The corners were clipped, and wrapped around to form the basis of the cover.
Here is what the inside of the cover looks like when complete - I pressed this overnight and repierced the holes in the spine.
I then created 4 signatures to stitch into my book. There is nothing magical about these - to make it simple, you could just use 8.5 x 11" paper folded in half. Mine have several different pocket constructions, and had the following four pages each:
- Outside page: 8.5 x 11 piece of paper folded in half
- Large pocket page: 10.75 x 12" piece of paper. Score at 8.5 and fold up the skinny piece. Fold the 10.75 x 8.5" piece of paper in half
- Inside page: 8.5 x 10.75 piece of paper folded in half
- Inside pocket: create a pocket from a 5.75 x 10.75 piece of paper. Create a 0.75" flap on two edges, and along the long edge, remove a 5 x 0.75" strip so the 0.75" flaps will fold around the smaller piece to form a pocket
From one outside page, pierce a hole in the middle and 0.75" from the top and bottom on the score line. Use this as a template to pierce holes in all of the other pages, noting that the inside pocket pages are shorter than the regular pages.
Each signature looked like this (burgundy is outside page; gold is large pocket page; kraft is inside page; brown is inside pocket)- note how the inside pocket page is not assembled at this point (the tabs on the inside pocket page have the printing on them - I trimmed a corner off before stitching to make it easier to put things in and out of the pocket).
Each signature was stitched using a pamphlet stitch. Starting from the middle hole, I stitched from inside the pocket to the outside of the book. Then, I stitched from the top hole into the book, back out through the middle hole, and then back in through the bottom hole. I tied the tails of waxed linen thread together to secure the signature. Repeat for each line, making sure you use one vertical line of holes each time and that the pockets are facing up!
When you're done with one signature, trim the tails of thread, and attach the flaps to make a pocket - a nifty side effect of this design is that your thread is hidden.
At the end, your book will look like this on the spine:
And like this on the edge - see how the four signatures are stitched, and there is a nice gap between them?
The Navigation Lite kit doesn't have enough paper to make all of inside pages, and I didn't want to cut all of it down to 8.5 x 11 to make the book. Other papers were from To You With Love, Equestrian, Comfort Zone, and Academy. Inside the front cover, I used Club Scrap gold pigment ink to create my own collaged background with a variety of classic stamps (London Calling, All Aboard, Sail Away, and Postcards from Paris) and incorporated the long cut apart into my own unique cover page.
The book looks pretty impressive when fanned out - I can't wait to fill it!
The large pocket pages are the perfect home for the envelopes from the Navigation kit (oops - forgot to show one in the book here!).
The inside pocket had a slash cut in them so I could easily place a large "tag" for later embellishment or journaling. Cut the slash before stitching.
The back pocket holds a Navigation envelope with a variety of cut aparts from this and other kits.
Since I forgot to attach my ribbon in the usual place, I put a cut apart from the Orient Express kit on the back to attach the green ribbon from the Navigation Lite kit.
I added some buttons from the Transformations kit on the spine to add some bling to the spine. The original plan was to tie together all of the exposed linen thread, but I didn't leave enough slack to do that.
I really love how the colors and themes of this month's kit blended beautifully with so many old and new kits. I hope you enjoy the next stop on our hop - Marya Kaszubinski at A Notebook Novel always has something great to share!