Monday, May 25, 2009

A tale of three books

I made three books this weekend, but am only showing two. The third is a gift for a new grandpa in the area whose grandson was named after a basketball player. So, this inspired me to use the rest of the paper in Club Scrap's Varsity kit to make more sports-themed books. The paper in this kit has some really great colors for more masculine projects - a soft burgundy, tan, and sage green. Some of the pages have wonderful patterns on them that emulate the diagrams coaches draw to show the team where to go. I think these albums would be a great place to gather team pictures over the years.

These books are hand stitched. I used a traditional kettle stitch, and four holes in each signature. The waxed linen thread is sewed over a piece of wide ribbon in the center. I also used an elastic closure, just like on the quick jot journal earlier this month. I thought this was pretty sporty!

When I made the quick jot journal a little while ago, I also used a masking technique with the stamping. I'd forgotten what a great (but simple) effect that is, so I did a bit more with that. The book on the left (sized about 5.5 x 5.5 inches) has the black image stamped first. I masked it (or, covered with paper) so that only a hole in the center of the image was open. Then, I stamped various sports elements with versamark images in the center. The versamark ink gives a subtle watermarked image a shade or two darker than the paper it is stamped on. My style is to be a bit more subtle about incorporating themes or elements in general. The "Number 1" image was then stamped on top.

I did a similar technique for the journal on the right (pages measure 4 x 6 inches). I stamped the saying, covered it with some torn paper, and then stamped some images (football, baseball, basketball, soccer ball) with the versamark on the top.

The edges of each paper needed a little something extra, so I did a little inking on the edges to grunge things up a bit.

I'm really pleased with these books. It's another sunny day, so more pictures outside for the books. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous!!! Simply gorgeous! The stitching work is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...