Monday, September 05, 2011

How to make artistic panels


The panels on these cards will always be unique.  Check out my video to see how I made them.





Some other tips:
  • The purple tape is a duck brand tape called "30 day perfect release."  The tack on it is a little less than the normal blue painter's tape or making tape, making it perfect for paper projects.  I found this at my local big-box store in the painting area.
  • If you need to use regular or blue masking tape, stick it on your clothes a few times to lessen the tack.
  • I tried using watercolors for this project instead of inks.  The watercolors were so fluid that they seeped under the tape.  This didn't create the crisp edges I was looking for, but I do have some great color panels to use on other projects!
  • I used a clear grid ruler from Club Scrap to line up my tape - since my ruler was three inches wide, and 14 inches long, it made it easy to line up the tape quickly. The tape is separated by 3 inches, which can create a 4 inch square when cropped.
  • Make multiple sheets at once!  I actually was playing with about four sheets at once.  You'll see more of the sheets later in the week, and that's why the panels on the card don't match the panels in the video.  This gives you a few extra to play with or not use if something doesn't work the way you'd like.
Stamps, stencils, paper, and embellishments are all from Club Scrap.

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Your examples are just stunning. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an interesting way to make a lot of bg's. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, Deb! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this technique--very pretty and unique.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...