Saturday, June 23, 2018

Suminagashi Paper Marbling - Club Scrap Challenge

This month, Julie challenged us to try different marbling techniques. I had taken a class on suminagashi marbling, and had been wanting to try this again.  The nice thing about this this technique is that it is water based which leads to easy clean up and minimal supplies are needed.  I'll link to some supplies and resources at the end of this post.

After playing for a while, I had many sheets to make into cards! I liked using watercolor paper and newsprint paper (no printing) for this technique best.  Mulberry paper also works well, but if it's deeply colored, the pale marbling might not show well.

I decided to have some fun just by using them as backgrounds to start.  I decided to use the June small die of the month from Spellbinders to create some cupcakes and candles. This is a standard 4.25 x 5.5 card so you can see the scale of the cupcake.

I thought the cupcake was a little large, so I switched to just using the candles on a few cards.




Finally, I used a punch to create some shapes for layering and had some fun with washi tape and other sparkly things.



Supplies and resources

  • Sumingashi paints were from a set that has enough colors and paints to last a long time.  I mixed some of them to create different blues and greens in my samples.
  • Sumi brushes (Club Scrap members may still have one from the Pure & Simple kit) are the traditional brush to use - look for smaller ones since you don't want a lot of paint in your brush.
  • Some paper and embellishments were from the Paradise kit
  • Ruth Bleakley has a nice post on trouble shooting sumingashi marbling
  • Washi, die cut papers and sentiment stamp are from my Club Scrap stash of papers.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see some shots in action! I've never heard of suminagashi marbling before. Love your results!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...