Friday, July 23, 2010

Carpet Tape Techniques - more scrappy cards

After my first set of scrappy cards, I was inspired to try some more geometric shapes.  For some reason, the pieced cards gave me the idea of bricks, so I started making panels for cards, without any particular goals in mind for the greeting or overall design.

First, I had some card bases already prepared that folded as a gatefold card, so I made skinny panels for these.  Because they were skinny, I think putting the pieces at an angle results in a nicer looking effect, but I like both of these.

Mosaic tiled card - 2

Mosaic tiled card - 4

For the larger panels, the tape isn't as wide as the panel, so I try to cover the seam with something before applying the scraps of paper.  I tried putting ribbon on top of the seam from the carpet tape, but I had mixed success with this technique.  On one of my attempts, the embossing powder stuck too much to the ribbon, and made it look messy. The ribbon on this card was cleaner, so I added a sentiment and some flowers on top. The flowers cover up some white area where the embossing powders didn't stick as well as I would have liked. Initially, I didn't like this panel too much, but after adding my sentiment and flowers, it's turned out to be one of my favorites.

Mosaic tiled card - 1

Finally, this sample uses a paper strip after the fact to cover the carpet tape seam. I positioned the strip and sentiment to cover the parts of the technique that didn't turn out as nicely as I wanted. To get the multi-colored stamp image, I used markers to color the individual areas before stamping.

Mosaic tiled card - 3

Paper, stamps, ribbon, and embellishments from Club Scrap.  The paper flowers are from Hero Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...